Testing time is just around the corner. In this post we offer up some suggestions for conquering test anxiety and setting yourself up to succeed on standardized tests.
A, A, C, C, B, D and another open-ended! We know that testing season can be very stressful. There is a lot of traveling and planning involved, in addition to the hours upon hours of PSSAs and Keystones. With this chaotic time right around the corner, the staff at 21CCCS wants to offer our students some tips and tricks to calming the test anxiety that often accompanies these standardized tests.
- Get a great night’s sleep. You don’t want to wake up feeling groggy and not ready to tackle all of the questions!
- Eat a balanced and nutritious breakfast. Your brain needs food to focus and work. Don’t skip breakfast the day of the test!
- If your test requires a calculator, double and triple check that the batteries are working! It would terrible to get to the testing site and realize you need a calculator.
- Leave early for your testing site. This will cut down on stress upon your arrival, and you won’t feel rushed heading into your test.
- Wear comfortable clothes to testing. It will be a long day of testing, so comfort is key. Don’t be afraid to don your favorite sweat suit!
- Take deep breaths, meditate, or do yoga. All of these techniques will help to calm your mind and focus your attention on the task at hand.
- Don’t try to cram the night before. While cramming might seem helpful, it actually won’t do you any good. Developing a study schedule for the weeks prior to the test will offer greater benefits than cramming and missing out on important sleep the night before!
- Discuss any areas of concern with teachers prior to the testing date. We have plenty of resources at our disposal to help our students prepare for the tests. Talk to your learning coach or content area teacher for some practice and extra materials!
Above all, know that the 21CCCS staff is rooting for you! We know that testing can be difficult and overwhelming, so we are here to help in any way that we can! Good luck and we will see you all very soon!